You are invited to join us for any individual seminar or learning event. And you are also invited to join us for the Spiritual Direction training program. This program is designed to strengthen and encourage your own spiritual growth as well as prepare you to assist others skillfully and carefully on their spiritual walk. You will learn themes of contemplative spirituality from a Celtic perspective thereby deepening your wisdom about God’s work in and through the human developmental process, and you will gain skills in effective listening, conversation, and spiritual disciplines with the goal of accompanying others as they seek their own Divine encounter. Some of you will want these skills as they are relevant to all of your relationships, and others may want to employ these skills in professional pastoral and spiritual direction work. This series of training seminars, retreats, and experiences, which entitles the participant to a Certificate of Spiritual Direction at the conclusion of the work, prepares you to offer trained, educated, and practiced care for the souls of others.
The Spiritual Direction program consists of six one-day seminars (Development), six one-day group gatherings for contemplative practice and spiritual direction instruction (Encounter), structured readings, personal spiritual direction, and supervised spiritual direction of others (Practice). The six Development seminars occur over a two-year cycle. You are welcome to take the Development seminars in whatever order serves your lifestyle and schedule. The six Encounter days begin each year in winter/spring, therefore, you will need to join an Encounter group at the beginning of each calendar year. The seminars and experiential learning opportunities are held in the beauty of the Pacific Northwest, in the North Seattle area along the Salish Sea / Puget Sound.
The principles of Celtic Spirituality and the eternal truth carried by the beauty of Creation combine to create a rich soul-enhancing and well-informed learning experience.
The six Development seminars are:
- The Celtic Spirit (Introduction to Celtic Themes)
- Winter/Spring 2019 (TBD)
- Landscape of the Soul (A Celtic Conversation of Soul and Nature)
- Friday, July 20
- Coming Home (Spiritual Development across the Human Lifespan)
- Fall (TBD), 2019
- Storied Spirit (Myth, Fairy Tales, and Dreams as portals into spiritual narrative)
- Winter/Spring 2019 (TBD)
- Soul Text (Reading and Applying Sacred “Text” as our Spiritual Guide)
- Spring 2019 (TBD)
- Divine Community (Relational and Community Life and Practice as Dignity and Responsibility)
- Fall 2019 (TBD)
The Spiritual Direction training will also include:
- You will read several relevant books on Celtic spirituality, contemplative practice, and the art of spiritual direction. 10-15 texts will be required.
- You will have several written assignments which include a spiritual autobiography, a verbatim of your work as spiritual director, and a Clinical Portfolio at the conclusion of your training which includes an incorporation of relevant texts, spiritual direction verbatim material, and a synthesis of Celtic principles and spiritual formation, community involvement, and spiritual direction practices.
- Personal Spiritual Direction.
- You will be required to participate in your own spiritual direction by a trained spiritual director for a minimum of 18 months.
- Offering Spiritual Direction to others.
- You will be required to offer spiritual direction to at least two other persons for one year during the course of your training.
- Spiritual Direction supervision.
- You will be required to be supervised by a trained spiritual director as you offer direction to others.
- Each Development seminar costs $175 and includes instruction, facilitation of contemplative practices, an experience of a setting in the beauty of Nature and spiritual practice, and lunch. You are invited to increase your payment as you are led so that the increase may help to subsidize participants who need assistance with the fee.
- Each Encounter day costs $100 and includes facilitation of contemplative spiritual practice, instruction, and lunch. You are invited to increase your payment as you are led so that the increase may help to subsidize participants who need assistance with the fee.
- Your own spiritual direction and supervision is your responsibility and is paid for by you as an agreed upon fee with your spiritual director and supervisor.
- You are responsible for any travel costs to and from each event or gathering.
- If you are unable to cover the full cost of the program, then please contact Kirk Webb and let him know what you can pay. With the generosity of other participants, we may be able to accommodate your needs.
To register or to explore your own involvement in the Spiritual Direction program, please contact Kirk Webb with any questions. Please indicate your desire to attend and your financial needs.